January 7, 2012

Single-Drug Chemotherapy: Second Round

Another round of chemo to document. 

Tuesday, Jan 3:  Had my blood drawn early in the morning and got the results online before noon.  The tests determine whether or not my blood counts are adequate for the chemo.  Everything looked good.  Began taking the steroid Dexamethasone to reduce side effects of the chemotherapy.  The steroid revs up the body, and I felt good and energetic. Only slept about four hours that night even though I had taken a benadryl.

Wednesday, Jan 4:  Started my oral anti-nausea medicine in the morning and worked on installing the new dishwasher.  Had a doctor’s appointment at noon and began my infusion about 1:30 pm--an anti-nausea drug and pemetrexed.  It took about an hour or so.  All went very smoothly, and when it was done, I felt no different than when I went in.  Went home and worked on the dishwasher.  Taking the steroid made getting up and down on the floor easier.  Again only about four hours of sleep that night.

Thursday, Jan 5:  Stopped taking the steroid but continued the anti-nausea medication.  Finished installing the dishwasher.  Felt good all day.

Friday, Jan 6:  Not so energetic because no more Dexamethasone.  Continued anti-nausea medicine.  Did not do all that I had planned for the day.  Read Michael Connelly’s The DROP.

Saturday, Jan 7:  Got up and fried some ham and scrambled eggs for breakfast.  Then began feeling fatigued so I took a two-hour, after-breakfast nap.  Still not much interested in doing any work around the house.  Tiny pimple-like spots forming at the hairline on my neck.  Occasional coughing and tendency to gag.  Slight tingling in my hands.  Big snowflakes falling outside.

Sunday, Jan 8:  Didn't have the same fatigue as Saturday morning.  Took a nap after noon.  Occasional waves of feeling ill and a little short of breath.  Pretty much the same as yesterday, but I did get out and shovel and sweep some light snow.

Monday, Jan 9:  Pretty good day; however, felt bad at times in the evening.  I hope the feeling doesn't presage a bad day tomorrow.  Last time, Tuesday was a bad day.

Tuesday, Jan 10:  Today was not as bad as the first Tuesday of the last round.  Occasional waves of feeling ill stopped, but I easily became short of breath.  Had a cough and a low fever (99.2).  Mouth sores larger than last time.

Wednesday, Jan 10:  Better today.  No waves of feeling ill, cough less, no fever.  On the mend.  Unless there's something else to report this will be the last entry for this round.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment