November 12, 2010

The History of the World in 100 Objects

While I've been sitting here in the treatment center receiving bag after bag of IV fluid, I've been listening to some very interesting podcasts from the BBC. The series is called A History of the World in 100 Objects. Neil MacGregor, the director of the British Museum, has selected 100 items from the museum's collection around which to structure a history human civilization. The 15-minute programs were broadcast on 100 days this year and can be downloaded or heard online (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00nrtd2). The podcasts I've listened to have been very interesting, and I plan to download the series to listen to while I walk.

If you have an interest in the scope of human history, I suggest taking a listen.

David

2 comments:

  1. David, I have been a fan of A History of the World in One Hundred Objects since it started. The final segment has been released, and I listened to it yesterday. This is one of the best podcasts that I have ever followed. We visited the British Museum last January, and I can envision the host as he hovers over the object that centers the episode. I also have listened to each episode while walking, usually on my normal route which allowed one episode going and another returning: a 30 minute stroll.

    Best regards,

    Jay Heath

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Jay. I listened to the first five epoisodes today and will download a bunch to listen to when I walk.

    I learned about the podcasts when I read a very positive review of the book version in the Ecomomist. It has just been published in the UK and can purchased through Amazon UK for 16.50 pounds (http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-World-100-Objects/dp/1846144132/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289619836&sr=1-1). You might want to ask for a copy for Christmas.

    Best wishes,

    David

    ReplyDelete