October 14, 2010

Two Doctor Visits

Jana and I each had appointments with our oncologists this week. Her visit yesterday went very well, and her white blood count is still normal. We would have been shocked if it had been otherwise because she feels so good, but it was reassuring to get positive results. The doctor ordered the blood test that determines what percentage of her white blood cells have the translocation that causes her leukemia, and we’ll get the results next week. The goal is to get the percentage to essentially zero.

Jana’s doctor has a sort of ebullient personality, and he told us how he likes to read Louis L’Amour and Daniel Quinn to relax. Then he loaned us two Louis L’Amour books to take our minds off of cancer. He also told his nurse that we were spies who had worked overseas for many years. I explained to her briefly what we really did. He closed the appointment by giving us each a hug (plus giving Jana a peck on the cheek).

His personality is not what I would have expected from a doctor who is the director of the Cancer Center, the Division of Hematology/Oncology, and the Cancer Research Institute and who has his BA, MA, and MD from Harvard, did his internship at Yale, and his residency and a fellowship at Stanford. A new drug that he has developed is being tried at M D Anderson. I was impressed by his mental energy and playfulness. I wonder if his playfulness is related to his success as a researcher?

I saw my oncologist today, and we decided to go forward with chemotherapy. His argument was that because we know that I have cancer in the pericardium (the sack around the heart) it would be better to begin treatment before the cancer can cause an effusion or other problem that would complicate my treatment. From what I can tell, only about half of mesothelioma patients respond to the chemotherapy, but since I hope to be in the “long tail” of the survival curve, I am ready to proceed. I’ll have a port installed as soon as it can be scheduled next week, and then I’ll have Chemo School and begin the chemotherapy the next day. I’ve got to get some pictures made of my head with hair in case I lose it. I’m curious about how my hair might be different when it grows back.

Watch this spot for a description of my chemo next week or the week after depending on when I can begin.

David

3 comments:

  1. Any one who recomends some one as entertaining as L'Amour to his patients must be a damn fine doctor.
    My oncologists were no fun at all.
    The surgeon, however, was a riot. And primarily due to his efforts I'm in great health at this point.
    Sounds like you're well on your way to the same place, but that chemo is not entertaining.
    Dave
    www.dmmcgowan.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, wow, you're active! Come trim our yard. Some of those aches and pains you describe may just have come with age, you know. After all, Harry Truman read your birth announcement in the paper from the White House.

    Jana, get a doctor with a personality that can be described in words we understand. Is that like being an ebullient in a china shop? Sounds like the drugs are working for everyone there.

    You two are our favorite story. Keep the chapters coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to find your blog. Jana's doctor sounds hysterical. Perfect match for you guys. If you want a lighter side of reading, try

    "#%!*% My Dad Says."

    Quick read and it's a riot! Keep posting your updates. People think I'm making it up when I talk about the "Cancer Couple." You guys are truly amazing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete