October 24, 2010

Chemo Update

It is chemo plus two days now. The first day after chemo started at 2:30 am when I woke up and stayed up until 4:30 or 5:00. I think I felt good on the day of the chemo because of the steroids they gave me to help with nausea, and their stimulating effect woke me up. I wasn’t bothered by being awake in the middle of the night because I was fully awake and read the news and played Spider solitaire happily, but about 4:30 I thought I’d better go to sleep, so I took a Benadryl as the nurse had suggested.

I have had absolutely no nausea even though cisplatin is known to be a powerful nausea stimulator. The anti-nausea drugs work wonderfully, so if you ever face chemotherapy know that nausea is a side effect of the past. I do have the hiccups most of my waking hours, however. I went online and found that the steroids seem to cause the hiccups, and the hiccups should abate when I stop taking the steroids on Wednesday, or maybe even when the dosage is reduced tomorrow. One possible factor may be imbalance in my electrolytes, and I need more sodium, so I’m going to eat a bowl of canned soup for lunch which will provide a lot of salt.

I seem to be benefiting from a positive side effect that I did not anticipate. The pain that is probably caused by nerve damage from my surgery is much diminished. It’s good to have a positive side effect.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment