June 19, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to our Cancer Couple blog where we will chronicle our interactions with mesothelioma and chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Why would someone create a blog about his or her health? It certainly seems immodest and egocentric, and I suppose it is to some degree; however, I have always found the practice and science of medicine to be very interesting, and I think there is something about the teacher in me that pushes me to share what I have learned with others. For example, there are encouraging developments such as the targeted treatments for CML that deserve to be widely known. I also use intellectualization as a way of managing existential anxiety, and I think writing down my thoughts and observations will help me cope with these medical challenges. I hope that sharing what we know and what we are doing will provide our family and friends with a richer context for understanding when they face similar challenges. Finally, the blog carries on a family tradition. My mother created a scrapbook documenting my father’s successful battle with malignant melanoma, and this blog will be the 21st century equivalent.



Anyway, we are new to blogging and would appreciate any advice our readers might have. For example, what does the “Followers” section on the right mean? Should I take that section off the page?


We hope you find this blog interesting, informative, and useful. Please contact us if you have any questions or comments.


David

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I believe the follow is a way for others to use tools they may already have such that posts you make will appear in an interface with which they are already familiar.

    I appreciate your approach to this challenge and I am truly sorry you are faced with this difficult time ... you and Jana. Both of you are special to us and we certainly hope the best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David and Jana
    You two continue to demonstrate your unique and loving personalities. I admire your desire to share with your friends and family in this way. One thing I learned through my dealings with Mimmo and his cancer is that family and friends are essential and that opening up to them in all ways helps heal all. Although we are very different in our approach, me being much more intuitive rather than scientific, in the end, all that matters is that we become totally who we are, open ourselves up to what is, and share with our loved ones. I applaud you both and will keep loving and healing thoughts for you both in my heart daily. Love, Cathy Magni

    ReplyDelete