April 2, 2017

The Beginning of the End

Since my last entry I have been in a holding pattern with regards to my mesothelioma. In the interim, I had cataract surgery on my right eye which went very well. It was pain free and except for my astigmatism, I now have clear distance vision for the first time since I was in the third grade. The thing that impressed me the most was how much brighter and more colorful the world appears now through my right eye. i had no idea I was looking through a yellow-brown haze. I gather that this is a common revelation to others who've had the surgery. I'll have my other eye done on Thursday.
Back to mesothelioma. On Monday I had my first CT since January, and on Wednesday we saw my oncologist for the results.  They were not good.  My mesothelioma has grown through the diaphragm into my abdomen. 
The abdomen is lined with the same kind of tissue as the chest cavity, so the cancer seem very happy to be in the abdomen and is flourishing. It is forming a crust across the top of my liver and down the sides.  However, the lungs seem pretty stable.  Dr. Camidge offered a new chemotherapy and a monoclonal antibody that works against the formation of new blood vessels (thereby starving the cancer).  I asked the prognosis if I did not do anything, and he said probably less than a year.  I told him that I didn't have much faith in the chemo helping, and I didn't want to spend the time I have left under the effects of both the chemo and the cancer.  He understood, and we agreed to give the antibody (minus the chemo) a six week trial and regroup then. 
The monoclonal antibody is called Avastin (bevaciizumab). Monoclonal antibody drugs (generic name ends in ..mab) are man-made antibodies that work through the immune system. Avastin is a member of the class of drugs that are designed to combat angiogenesis, the creation of new blood vessels. The idea is that the cancer needs new blood vessel to grow, and if the drug prevents the creation of the blood vessels, the cancer will stop growing. Avastin is not as effective as some of the newer immuno drugs, and as my doctor recommended is usually given with a chemotherapy agent, so I don't expect much, if any, improvement; however, I'll give it a try. I get my first infusion on Wednesday and then again three week later, assuming that insurance will pay for it. Avastin is not licensed for mesothelioma.
It looks like I'm entering the beginning of the end, and it's time to get my affairs in order. When I was first diagnosed seven years ago, I thought I had six months to live. I realized intellectually that I had an incurable disease, but it never seemed real or my death imminent. After a couple of years when my cancer showed itself to be rather indolent, I realized that I had a longer life expectancy than that. Now it seems clear that my time is getting short, and for the first time i feel my mortality emotionally, a feeling that meso going to take my life.
PS. I knew something had changed because my belly looks like it's inflated. Even our five-year-old granddaughter noticed and remarked on it. When examining me, my doctor said I look like I'm pregnant. He quickly said that I was one of only a few patient that he could say that to. I appreciated the fact that we have gotten to know one another well enough for him to understand that I would not be offended. 
 David

4 comments:

  1. David, I do pray nightly for you and Jana. I've known you and your family, seems like forever. I remember us racing our bikes, until your dad bought you that new Schwinn and you dusted me :) I don't know what to say, except to not give up. You've exceeded your expectations, so continue to fight that horrible disease. I learned one thing in Vietnam, survival can be tough but you have to get confident, "kick ass", and never give up. God Bless...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear David. I am very sympathetic on your current situation. Being diagnosed with mesothelioma and your wife Jane diagnosed with chronic Myelogenous leukemia with is not the end. All you need to do is to keenly follow the doctor's advice and medication. Live positively and remain strong at all time. I wish you quick recovery. Get well soon.

    Steve @ Eye Clinic London

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the upbeat comment, Steve. I see my oncologist tomorrow, so I'll probably post an update on CancerCouple.blogspot.com.

    Are you really in England? I corresponded for a short time with a woman in Australia early in the life of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i received through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have
    herbal cure for, LUPUS DISEASE, JOINT PAIN, POLIO DISEASE, PARKINSON'S DISEASE, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASE, CYSTIC FIBROSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, CORNEAL ULCER, EPILEPSY, FETAL ALCOHOL SPECTRUM, LICHEN PLANUS, COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITIS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKAEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete