November 17, 2016

Clinical Trial Update



About three weeks ago, I had my first immunological treatment with Tecentriq (https://www.gene.com/patients/medicines/tecentriq).  About the only side effect that might be related to the drug has been lower leg cramps.  I had them most nights during the first week, but they have subsided. 

This week I got the first dose of the experimental drug GCD-0919.  Because both drugs are supposed to activate the immune system, the possibility of side effects is increased.  So far it seems like I have less stamina than I’ve had recently.  For example, I was exhausted after lunch by unloading the dishwasher and putting the dishes away, and I had to sit down and recuperate.

The new drug is a given in capsules which is a new type of cancer treatment for me.  I take 12 capsules, twice a day, twelve hours apart.  I came home from my first dosing with 24 bottles of 24 pills each.  One bottle per day.  I can’t eat during a three-hour window around taking the pills (2 hours before and one hour after).  So going forward, I’ll get an infusion of Tecentriq every three weeks and take the GCD-0919 every day until the side effects become intolerable or dangerous or my disease progresses.  The cancer adventure continues.

David

PS  For those who might be interested.  I'm working on a post or perhaps a series of posts about clinical trials.  What they are.  Where to find them.  How they are conducted.  Etc.  Watch this space.

PS2  Twelve pills sounds like a lot, but they are small and easy to take.  I take them four at a time, so it's only three swallows.  Here's what they look like in a tablespoon.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment