October 18, 2016

Jana: CML Update David: Clinical Trial



Jana

Jana had a blood test in September for evidence of CML that showed that she still shows no evidence of the disease.  It’s been about 2.5 years since she last showed any sign of the disease.  She feels good all the time and is active in a group that sings at assisted living centers and in volunteering at the Eastern Star Masonic Retirement Center where her mother lived before her death. 

Yesterday I read a summary of a new research study that produced this Take Home Message:

This study was a long-term follow up (median, 77 months) of a previously reported study in which 100 patients with CML with undetectable minimal residual disease (MRD) after 2 years of therapy had Gleevec discontinued and were followed.  Only 61 of 100 patients developed molecular recurrence during the prolonged follow-up.  The 5-year molecular relapse–free survival was 38%.  Of the 61 patients who relapsed, 57 restarted therapy.  As many as 97% of retreated patients achieved a second undetectable MRD status.

We find these to be very hopeful findings.


David

I completed my 36 cardiac rehabilitation sessions last month.  I grew somewhat stronger over the course of treatment, but not as much as I would have liked.  I am trying to exercise at home and have been somewhat successful at walking on the treadmill regularly; however, I still become fatigued easily.  A trip to the grocery store can wear me out.  On the other hand, a couple of weeks ago I drove us through the mountains on a 175 mile trip to see the yellow aspens.

The big news is that I’m being considered for a clinical trial at the U of Colorado Hospital.  This is exciting because the trial is testing two immunological cancer treatments.  The drugs are designed to remove the camouflage (antigens PD-L1 and IDO) from my cancer cells so my T-cells can kill them.  To be included the patient had to have tumors that express one and/or both of the antigens.  I learned yesterday that my cells express PD-l1.  I have a start-of-the trial exam, lab work, and CT on Thursday.

After the trial gets underway, I’ll add a detailed post about what the trial is supposed to do and how the treatment is going. 

David

No comments:

Post a Comment