April 26, 2012

Biopsy Results

Tonight, I got a message from an old friend, Karen Banks, reminding me that I had not posted the results of my end-of-March chest biopsy. The PET and CT scans at the time had shown an area that seemed to be growing while other sites remained stable. The Tumor Board recommended a biopsy of the site because they could not tell whether it was tissue or fluid. Luckily, it turned out to be fluid with no significant characteristics, and on April 3 I got my sixth pemetrexed infusion of this second round of chemo. This week I went in for the seventh round on Tuesday, so I am a little under the weather right now. I'll have another CT scan on May 14, and at my pre-infusion appointment with my oncologist on Tuesday, I asked what he thought about my taking a two month hiatus if the CT results show that the cancer is stable. This kind of chemo is not particularly debilitating, but it would be good to have a break and regain my strength and health a little. The steroid (dexamethasone) that I take at the time of my chemo and my lack of exercise and my poor diet have raised my blood sugar to unacceptable levels, so a break would also help me get it under control again. He thought it would be a good idea, so I'm looking forward to the CT results in May.

Nothing new on Jana's CML. Everything is under control, and she has been busy working in the yard and making things with her sewing/embroidery machine.

On a personal note, we are looking forward to going down to Big Bend National Park for a few days with our friends Tim and Susan Kilkenny. Jana and the Kilkennys will probably be focusing on what birds and wildlife they can see, and I will be more interested in taking pictures of the place. I just ordered a digital 3D camera and look forward to exploring what it can do.

Thank you for following our blog.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment