March 12, 2012

The Tumor Board's Recommendations

I got a call a while ago from Dr. Weickhardt with the results of the tumor board's review of my CT scans. As I wrote earlier, one area in the latest scan had grown significantly over a six-weeks period while other areas remained stable. The tumor board found that it was unclear from the images whether the area was a collection of fluid or tissue. Consequently, they recommended using a needle under radiological guidance to aspirate the fluid or tissue in order to determine its nature. I was very please with this recommendation because I have a hard time thinking that the area is a tumor because it will settle the question.

I will continue with my pemetrexed chemo on Wednesday, and when my blood counts have returned to normal they will do the aspiration. My money is on the results showing a fluid concentration because the area shrank and then expanded and did not light up the PET scan, but we'll have to wait and see.

David

No comments:

Post a Comment