January 21, 2011

Oncologist Visit and PET Results Prior to Chemo Round 5

On Thursday, I had an appointment with my oncologist prior to the start of my fifth round of chemotherapy. We reviewed the results of my PET scan (see post from July 5, 2010 ) from the day before, and the results were positive. There has been no spread of my mesothelioma outside of the right half of the thorax, and those nodules showing enhanced sugar usage have remained stable. The current PET was compared with one from June before the removal of the tumors in July, and the absence of those tumors was noted. I also learned that my 6th, 7th, and 8th ribs were broken in the rear during my July surgery in which the 7th rib was removed, and the breaks have healed. I judged it to be a positive report.

I also asked about the growth curve of my tumors. I assumed that the size of the tumors would increase geometrically because each cell division doubles the number of cells. For example, one cell becomes two, then the two cells divide giving four, etc. I assumed that growth would be rapid near the end of life, but the doctor said that was not a characteristic of this disease. The growth rate is more linear. That was reassuring because I do not want to be caught up short at the end. As the end comes near, things have to be put in order, and explosive growth might be a problem; however, it might mean a longer period of suffering.

I also learned that I will have only six rounds of chemo instead of eight. I don’t’ know where we got the idea that I would have eight rounds, probably from the thoracic surgeon, but I was pleased to know that I will have only to do one more. Then the imaging will be updated to form a baseline that will be repeated every eight weeks.

All in all, I found it to be a positive appointment, and I think I am still in the long tail (see The Median Isn't the Message in the Other Page Section).

David

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,

    Good to see you back here and receive your updates. It does sound positive. We're still thinking of you down here.

    Best,
    Jillian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for dropping by, Jillian. Yes, I guess my report was about as positive as one can expect with mesothelioma.

    I hope all is well with you and your family. Am I correct in assuming that Coogee is far enough to the south that you were not affected by the big cyclone?

    Best Wishes,

    David

    ReplyDelete